Interested in undergoing a facelift surgery in Spain? Trust Antiaging Group Barcelona.
A facelift (technically known as “rhytidectomy”) is a facial cosmetic surgery addressing at reducing the most visible signs of aging on our faces by removing excess fat, tightening underlying muscles and redraping the skin of your face and neck.
It’s probably one of the commonest surgeries performed at our clinic in Barcelona for patients coming from abroad.
A facelift can be done alone or along with other procedures such as a forehead lift, eyelid surgery, or a nose job.
First consultation free. Online consultation for overseas patients also available.
Am I a good candidate for a facelift surgery?
If your face and neck have begun to sag, but your skin still has some elasticity and your bone structure is strong and well-defined, you are a good candidate. Most patients are in their forties to sixties, but facelifts can be done successfully on people in their seventies or eighties as well.
What’s the best facelift surgery technique for me?
There are several techniques for a facelift, which are:
1) Frontal facelift: it has 3 main goals: to eliminate the wrinkles of the forehead, the lines created by frowning and to raise the eyebrows. The sad, tired or angry look will be gone. At our cosmetic surgery clinic in Barcelona, we perform this facelift technique with endoscopy, with just 2 small cuts of 1.5 cm each, within the hair. This way, the classic long scar is avoided, the recovery is faster and the aesthetic result is very satisfactory.
However it is not a commonly performed treatment nowadays, because botox gives excellent results.
Eyebrows can need be lifted, and for them we use either threads or small incisions at the hairline or in some cases at the upper edge of the eyebrow. Brow lifts gives a curved appearance to the tail of the eyebrow. Men have thicker eyebrows, usually lower in position and horizontal, not curved. In men direct excision of skin at the upper edge of the eyebrow is usually the best option.
2) Cervicofacial facelift, that is, face and neck facelift: when the faces ages, there is a loss of fat and the skin sags, making the folds be more pronounced, the cheek deflates and the jawline losses definition (jowls). Depending on the signs of aging we have several techniques:
- Treating the SMAS, which is a thin layer of fat and muscle ander the skin and which has to be lifted and fixed. Pull i always applied on this layer, never on the skin. This gives the most natural results and avoid the “overdone” face lift. The SMAS tightening is the main manouver to define the jawline
- fat grafting, to volumize and reconstruct the areas where fat is lost because of the aging process. Besides, fat regenerates and improves the quality of the skin.
- At the neck, we have to treat the platysma bands. These are the unsightly bands appearing at the midline of the neck. The platysma is treated either laterally (pulling towards the ears) or medially (suturing the bands each other). If the neck is very obtuse, maybe we have to remove the deep fat under the platysma muscle.
- In some necks, liposuction is the only thing to do.Liposuction in the neck might be indicated to those patients with no skin flaccidity, no muscular bands and with fat excess in the submental area.
3) Midface facelift:This facelift is performed when the desired outcome is to rejuvenate the area of eye orbits and cheeks without having to undertake a complete facelift as described above. By lifting the malar area, the effect is astonishing, providing more lateral fullness, more projection to the malar area and smoothening the palpebral inferior boundary and the nasolabial fold. A blepharoplasty is usually perfomed at the same time. An alternative to midface lift is either fat transfer or cheek implants. Midface lift is the most powerful to recreate a youthful face.
Our facelift techniques aim at getting the most natural look. That’s our priority number 1 at our plastic surgery clinic in Barcelona, which is why we perform our techniques to avoid unaesthetic marks such as hairline malposition, earlobe distortion or scar stretching. Incision placement in front of the ear and respect for the natural landmarks of the face, as sideburns, earlobe are mandatory for a good result. We have to consider gender differences. In men, the incision is placed so not to distort the sideburn and avoid the growth of the beard at the ear.