It’s been a struggle, but finally, you have made the decision. A few years ago you decided to have your first breast augmentation. Of course you checked out a lot of clinics first, or maybe you just went with the best deal. What is certain is that at that time there was a massive increase in offers on low cost surgery for aesthetic treatments. Breast operations were the main attraction.
However, more recently we have seen an increase in women coming to us for secondary breast surgery. Women who, for one reason or another, are no longer satisfied with the results.
There are various reasons for this increase:
- The number of breast surgeries has sky-rocketed in the last few years and it is logical that there is an increase in the population requiring some type of repeat intervention.
- There are now quite a few women who have had a prosthesis for a long time and require monitoring (we are the first Plastic Surgery clinic in Spain to use ultrasound as a monitoring tool). A percentage of these women have a ruptured prosthesis and need to have replacement surgery.
- If there are problems our training in reconstructive surgery will ensure we provide the best answer. This is not a synonym for infallibility however, as sometimes secondary surgery is complicated and can require a reintervention, but our many years of professional experience in reconstructive surgery gives us a wide range of solutions.
Why a secondary breast operation?
Age-related changes may cause the breast to change its shape or volume. Normally the solution will be to perform a breast lift or mastopexy or a mastopexy revision if one has already been performed. There are also women who have had a breast reduction procedure in their youth and have lost volume with age or the menopause and now require implant placement. The main problems related to the implants are as follows:
- Ruptures (particularly fourth generation implants which have been implanted for more than 10 years).
- Deformed implants.
- Rippling (visibility of the implant due to mammary gland atrophy).
- Malposition (implant, normally submuscular, which stays high because the mammary gland has slipped over it) causing a phenomenon known as double bubble or double outline deformity.
- Capsular contraction, with a deformed and even painful breast.
In secondary breast surgery a diverse range of techniques, including reconstructive techniques, may be required. So the surgical team’s experience is very important for gaining the best result possible, and the patient must also have reasonable expectations.
It is not possible to be 100% sure of the final technique required until the implant has been removed and the deformity can be seen. So it must always be kept in mind is that the final result may not resemble the appearance before the first intervention, or even the result obtained immediately after that first intervention. Obviously we are aiming for a good result, but the original shape of the breast, the changes produced by the previous surgery, the incision (and therefore the technique) used will affect the design and performance of this surgery and thus its results.
As always there are very clear cases where improvement after a second breast operation is assured, but others where this could take longer.
And if I want to have a second breast operation to remove my implants?
There is another situation where women have changed their minds about their implants and want them removed. The recommended technique in these cases will depend on the breast volume. At the present time, depending on the patient’s characteristics, we recommend extraction of the implant and insertion of adipose tissue at the same time, known as fat-grafting, to avoid the breast appearing very empty or having to cause considerable scarring when adjusting the covering skin. The results are highly satisfactory.
You are not satisfied with your breast augmentation and you want a second breast operation?
At Antiaging Group Barcelona we think that second best are sometimes better. If you are not satisfied with your breast augmentation and you are thinking of having a second operation, we are here to help you and give you information on your choice of alternatives.
- We have 25 years experience in breast surgery.
- We are the Spanish pioneers of axillary subfascial augmentation and autologous fat transfer breast surgery.
- Medical excellence in a clinic led by the renowned surgeon Dr. Jesús Benito Ruiz.
- ISAPS insurance for corrective surgery.
- Free consultation, also online. Speed up process.
- Implant follow up with ultrasound.